The fastest way to alphabetize on Google Docs is to use the sorted paragraphs add-on available on the Google Workspace marketplace. Let’s take a detailed look at how to do that in the simplest way.
Alphabetizing means to sort a list in alphabetical order. For example, if you have a list of names in your document, you might want to sort out these names in alphabetical order starting with the first letter, A to Z.
Alphabetizing your work can help you make large quantities of information or data simple and quick to navigate or browse through. Google docs can help you alphabetize your information; however, you cannot do this directly.
There is no direct feature that can help you alphabetize your work but there is a workaround for this. You can go around this limitation through the use of an add-on.
Read on to know how to alphabetize on google docs
Method 1: Using Sorted Paragraphs add-on to alphabetize in Google Docs
As mentioned earlier, Google Docs does not support alphabetizing a list unlike word processing applications like Microsoft Office Word.
To achieve this, you need to use add-ons or plugins and even websites to work this issue out for you. Because you are to use an add-on for this, you can only alphabetize with a computer.
Here is how to alphabetize on google docs
How to alphabetize on google docs
This is an add-on that repositions paragraphs into alphabetical order based on the first letter of the first sentence of each paragraph.
It can also stack the sorted paragraphs either from ascending (A to Z) to descending order (Z to A). in order to use this, add on you first need to install it
- In your google docs account, open the document you want to alphabetize
- Click ‘add-ons’ located in the taskbar at the top of your screen
- Then click on the get add-ons’ option
- In the pop-up window that appears, search for “sorted paragraphs” with the use of the search bar at the top right
- “Sorted Paragraphs” by Filipe Werneck should be the first result.
- Click on install
- Choose the Google account to which you want to add it.
- Confirm your choice by allowing Sorted Paragraphs permission to be installed onto your Google account.
- After installing the add-on, here is how to use it to alphabetize on google docs
- Highlight the text you want to alphabetize
- Click add-ons on the toolbar at the top
- Select “Sorted Paragraphs” from the dropdown menu,
- Then select “Sort A to Z” or “Sort Z to A.”
Your document will now be alphabetized either from A to Z or Z to A depending on your selection.
Method 2: Using Google sheets to alphabetize your list for Google Docs
Another method you can use to alphabetize items is through the use of google sheets. Google Sheets is Google’s alternative to Microsoft Excel.
It allows you to create and edit spreadsheets. It also allows users to modify spreadsheets and share the information or data in the spreadsheets in real-time.
Google sheets have a function that allows users to automatically sort out values in a column. This feature can do this sorting out in either alphabetical order or reverse alphabetical order.
This feature makes your work more convenient, easy, and flexible.
Another benefit of this feature is that it allows you to sort items in a table as well as paragraphs. To use this feature, simply open google sheets and enter the list of items you would like to sort in a column.
The items can even be in the form of paragraphs. After that, you can use the sort function to automatically alphabetize the column.
How to use Google sheets to alphabetize your list
Here is how you can use google sheets to alphabetize your data
- Open google spreadsheets
- Select the spreadsheet you want to make changes to or click on the + sign to create a new spreadsheet
- Copy the items from your google docs document and paste them in your google sheets spreadsheet. This step is time consuming in the sense that you need to copy and paste them one by one. You can also copy and paste them in bulk. Try to ensure that all your items are one below the other in a single column.
- Click on the data tab located at the left top corner of the screen and choose your sort option preference (either A to Z or Z to A)
- From here, you can simply copy the sorted list of items in the google sheets and paste them back to your Google Docs document. Also, make sure to format the pasted list correctly.
In case you would like to delete the google sheets document, simply follow the steps below
- Go to the file tab
- Click on the ‘move to trash’ option from the file’ drop down menu
- This will delete the google sheets document.
In this article, you have learned about two different ways to alphabetize in Google Docs. You noticed that alphabetizing cannot be achieved natively in Google Docs hence the two works around provided are through using an add-on or using Google sheets.