Facebook frames are trendy now and everybody wants to know how they can create their own Facebook profile frames. Using a tool like Canva anyone at all irrespective of their experience or lack of it in terms of graphic design is able to create nice facebook frames.
Let us, therefore, take a look at how to make a Facebook frame in Canva. It may happen that you don’t know what Facebook frames are so let’s start the discussion by exploring what facebook frames are before we look at how you can easily create some using Canva.
What is a Facebook frame?
A Facebook frame is an image or picture that you can put over your profile picture. It is mostly used for showing support or to raise awareness to your causes, events, holidays, festivals, and many more activities.
A Facebook frame lets users add text and design overlays to the edges of their images, just like Snapchat’s filters. People can use frames to express creativity, enhance images, and most importantly, show what they’ve been up to.
Here is an example of Facebook frames in use and this was designed in Canva.
What are the uses of Facebook frames?
Below are some of the uses of Facebook frames
- Facebook frames are used by marketers to create a representing their branding
- To promote an event or business
- To show support or raise awareness to one’s causes, events, holidays and activities.
Can a Facebook frame be created in Canva?
A Facebook frame can be made using Canva. In fact, it is very easy to design the frame in Canva.
To create a Facebook frame using Canva, it is recommended that you use the Pro account version of Canva. This is to ensure that you gain access to the “background remover” feature and also “saving with a transparent background” is only available for Pro users.
However, there are ways to also go about it if all you have is the free version of Canva and we will discuss all that in this tutorial.
Tools needed to create a Facebook frame
The next tool you require is the Facebook frame studio. Let’s look at how you are going to use each of these tools.
How to create facebook frame with Canva Pro account
To create a Facebook frame, you will first have to design it in a graphic-design software or tool like Canva. The caveat is that the design you make should have a transparent background and be saved in a PNG format.
When using a Canva Pro account, you can remove the background of your image or choose to save your images as PNG with a transparent background.
How to create Facebook frame using Canva free account
Unlike the Canva pro account, the free account doesn’t come with the remove background feature and it also doesn’t allow you to save an image with transparent background unless you are ready to pay for it.
Nonetheless, there are ways to go about this if you are using a Canva free account. You first of all have to create your frame design in Canva with your free account. Download the design as a PNG image. This image will come with a background that is most likely white background (unless you changed the background color of your design).
Once you have the image downloaded, you have to use some third-party platforms to remove the background for free. Two of the most common free background removal platforms that I have been using for some time now are:
Click on any of the links above to open up the platform and upload your image. Once the image is uploaded, click on the remove background button to remove the background. Then go ahead and download your new transparent image.
Now you can proceed to the Facebook frame studio.
How to use Facebook frame studio
Once your transparent background image in the PNG format is ready, you have to access the Facebook frame studio using any of the links below:
On Mobile: https://m.facebook.com/frames/manage
- Click on Create Frame button
- Upload the png image that you designed. Note that the size of the image should be less than 1MB. If yours is bigger than that then you can use this image size reducer platform to reduce the size of the image.
- Continue by resizing and adjusting your design to the frame to ensure that it fits and shows the way you want it.
- Provide the following details for your frame
- Name of the frame
- Location within which the frame should be made available
- Schedule for the frame
- Once you are done with providing the details, click on the Next button
- At the top right corner, select the exact profile or page that you want this frame to be published on.
- Note that once the frame is published, you won’t be able to change the name of the frame or the owner.
- Click on the Publish button
Once your facebook frame is published, other people can search for it based on the name and use it.
Why can’t I create a Facebook profile frame
Facebook has recently limited who can create a Facebook profile frame. As at the time of writing this article, Facebook does no longer allows individuals to create their own Facebook profile frame. So, this could be the reason why you are not able to create your own Facebook frame.
Here is the information they made available on their website concerning who can create Facebook frames.
According to Facebook, now known as Meta, the ability to create profile frames is now limited to only organizations included in one of their information centers.
However, all hope is not lost, since you can create a complete frame in Canva and upload the frame as your new profile picture.
The only disadvantage is that other people would not have access to your frame to also use. This means that you are the only one who can use the Facebook profile you create without using Facebook frame studio.
If you want other people to use it, then you would have to save your Canva design as a template and share the template with the other people who would like to use it so they upload their picture in replacement to your own picture.
How to create a Facebook frame in Canva without using Facebook Frame studio
Let’s take a look at all the steps involved in creating a profile frame completely in Canva without using the Facebook frame studio.
Here is how to create a Facebook frame using Canva
- Create a new design file by clicking on the “create design” button (With a Facebook frame, it is best to use the dimensions of a logo template so that the frame will perfectly fit your profile photo)
In case you do not know the exact dimensions of a logo template, simply encode “logo template” in the dropdown menu’s search bar.
Click on the logo template option so you’ll be redirected to the editor page.
- On the editor page, navigate to the left-side menu
- Then click on “Elements”.
- In the Elements gallery, search for a circular border or frame.
You can either move over to the frames section of the elements gallery or simply type “circle” or “circle border” in the search bar.
Once you find the circular border you like, click and then drag it to the canvas.
Make sure to resize the frame by tapping on it and dragging the white circles surrounding it diagonally.
- Add a photo inside the circular border you added. However, this step is optional and so it depends on what you want to design.
If there is a picture or image you already have saved on your device that you would like to use, simply click the uploads tab and click the upload media button to start the import process.
However, if you prefer to use relevant stock photos (preloaded photos) instead, go to the photos tab and browse through the gallery or type the keywords in the search bar.
If the photo you use comes with a background you don’t want to include in your design, just tap on the image to activate the Edit image feature.
Then, in the side panel menu that appears, click the Remove background option. This will prompt Canva to remove the background of that particular photo for you.
After that, click and drag the said photo to your project and resize it accordingly.
- In case you want to add banners or other graphic elements to your frame, simply go back to the elements tab and use the search bar function to find them.
Click-and-drag, resize, and position them on the canvas according to the design you have in your mind.
You can also polish up the positioning of your various elements through Canva’s ruler feature or by tapping Tidy up under the Position button.
- If you’d like to add some text, click the Text tab and select the font sizes or font style combinations that suit your theme.
Click and drag on that particular font and edit the text accordingly. Adding colors to the text box can also be done so that your text will pop out more.
- Once you’re satisfied with how your Facebook frame looks, head to the Download button and select the PNG file type.
Now, as you will add your newly-created frame as an image overlay on your profile picture, you need to save the image with a transparent background.
To achieve this, make sure the Transparent background box is ticked before you hit the Download button at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
Then, wait for the export process to finish before you can upload your newly-created frame on your Facebook profile.
How to use an already designed Facebook frame
If you have seen a Facebook frame that other people are using and you would like to use because you want to support the same cause they are supporting then follow the steps below to add it to your profile.
- Visit any of the links below depending on the device you are using
- In the search bar to choose a frame, search for the name of the frame that you want. For example Unicef has a frame for encouraging people to get vaccinated. The name of the frame is let’s get vaccinated.
- So, let’s go ahead and search for “let’s get vaccinated”
- If you find the exact frame you are looking for, click on it. Once you click on it, the frame will be applied to your profile picture as you can see below.
- You have to now set the duration for which you want this frame to be applied to your profile picture. The options provided are:
- 1 hour
- 1 day
- 1 week
- 1 month
- Choose the duration you want and then click on the blue use as Profile picture button.
- Voila! You have successfully set the Facebook frame to your profile picture.