GIF which stands for Graphics Interface Format is an image format that was first introduced in the year 1987. The motive for this format is to be able to have animated images or videos in the smallest possible size.
When images or videos are converted into GIFs, no data is lost due to the compression. For this reason, GIFs became very popular. GIFs have even become more popular in the last few years, especially with more people using social media and the advent of memes.
Even now, many chatting apps and keyboards have included GIFs in their systems. Although GIFs have become very popular, some people are still unable to use them due probably to using older versions of Android which apparently do not support GIFs.
There are a few tips you can try in order to fix the issue of GIFs not working on your phone. Before we do that, let’s make sure you are looking at the right place for GIFs.
How to Find GIFs on Android Keyboard
- Open a texting application like WhatsApp or text messenger app and tap on where you can text in order to open the keyboard.
- On the lower row of keys you will see the emoji icon. Tap on it.
- Tapping on it will open a list of emojis.
- Tap on the GIF button. Lists of available GIFs will be displayed with different tabs for different moods. You can also search according to your mood on the search box.
- Tap on your preferred GIF.
- Make sure your phone is connected to the internet else the GIFs would not be displayed.
How to Fix GIFs not Working on Gboard
Gboard otherwise known as the Google keyboard is one of the most used types of keyboards by Android users. Doing one of the steps about to be stated should help you be able to use GIFs.
Check your internet connection
GIFs are on Google’s keyboard, and would only be displayed if there is an internet connection. Unless you have the GIF already on your device as a file, this should be the case. In this case, make sure your internet connection is active and then search for GIFs on your keyboard.
Restart your phone
We have seen many other issues on phones that resolve after doing a reboot of your device. As such for most cases, this can solve a lot of tiny problems and malfunctions. Restart your phone and try to send a GIF again.
Clear Gboard cache
Caches are pieces of information stored on your device when you open an app or open a webpage so that when you open them at another time it wouldn’t take long to open. Clear Gboard cache by doing the steps below.
Note that these steps may not be exactly the same on all android phones due to different producers or android versions but these steps may be close.
- Open your phone’s settings
- Tap on Apps and notifications
- Look for Gboard and tap on it
- Select storage and tap on the Clear cache button
Force stop keyboard
Gboard is available on many Android phones as the default keyboard which makes it impossible to delete Gboard. If you happen to have downloaded the keyboard from Playstore then you can uninstall the app and install it again. If not, then force stop the keyboard.
- Open settings and tap on apps and notifications
- Scroll and find Gboard Keyboard
- Tap on it and select force stop
After trying all the above steps and still getting no solutions, you can update the app. If you do not occasionally update your phone and apps you may be missing out on interesting new features being added. Updates are there for a reason and so you must make sure to update your device.
To update your Gboard, open Playstore. Search for Gboard Keyboard. If the app is not up to date you will see an update button. Tap on it to update the app.
How to Send GIFs on WhatsApp
WhatsApp, the most popular texting app in the world also has the capability to send GIFs with its own specialized GIF on its keyboard. For WhatsApp GIFs that are provided by Giphy not to be working then it’s most likely that it’s being caused by poor or no internet connection. Sending and receiving messages on WhatsApp is only possible when there is an internet connection, therefore, this should be easy to know.
I’ll show you how to find and send WhatsApp GIFs.
- Open a chat on WhatsApp and tap on the text box.
- Tap on the emoji icon.
- At the bottom of the keyboard, you should see the GIF icon. Tap on it.
- This will open many GIFs
- You can also personalize the GIFs in display by searching via Giphy. Remember to make sure you are connected to the internet else this wouldn’t work
GIFs over the past years have made texting and using social media more interesting and fun since one can show their reactions in a more emotional way. Gifs make people show how they would have expressed themselves if they were not texting but were actually talking in person.
No wonder you would want to make sure you are able to use GIFs and after reading this you probably must have found out why your GIFs are not working and gotten ways to fix it.